My good old film Scan uys-90
I have owned this film scanner for more than 20 years. It is a fast film scanner with a spatial resolution of 2048x3072 pixels and 12-bit colour depth. It belongs to the first generation of fast film scanners for the commercial photofinishing business. It is quick and can scan a 36-frame roll of 35mm film in under 8 minutes at full resolution.
It might look like the scan resolution is not very appealing, but for making a 4R or even 8R print, it is good enough—especially when using real photographic paper with laser, LED, or CRT printing technology. You can also look at old PhotoCDs (the true original Kodak PhotoCD, not 'Photo CD'), which have a similar resolution and color bit depth.
It is not the only film scanner I own. The main purpose of having it is to digitize all my old films that won't be used to make big prints, so speed is very important.
If I need a high-res scan, I use my Nikon LS-4000 ED and the maximum resolution for 35mm file is 3946x5782 pixels (it is about the ASA100 35mm film resolution. ). The LS-4000 can be used on modern computers, even Windows 11using a modified driver.
The only drawback of this scanner is the software. All official support is long gone. The software can only be installed on an x86 machine, and the latest supported OS is Windows XP. That is why I keep two old desktop PCs (an IBM M5 and a Dell Dimension 9200) around just for this scanner.
Here is the visual comparison between LS4000ED and UYS90 (film: Kodak Gold 100 ). Please forget the colour different.
Here is the other comparison and the scanned image from LS4000ED shows actual pixel. And it shows that the resolution of Kodak Gold 100 with all factors combined (lens, exposure, shaking hand etc) is over 2000dpi but lower than 4000dpi, may be around 2500dpi.



Comments