LS3/5A DIY Challenge Part 3


After the prototype,  here is the final version.  The changes includes
1.  Acoustic foam was used as original specification
2.  Smaller brass screw were used
3.  Matt black paint was applied as original specification (solvent base mat black paint)
4.  Better plywood stock and the thickness as original specification  (not from Homedepot)
5.  Oak veneer applied (original LS35A don't have this and very difficult to find a good Teak veneer)
6.  Better binding post

I am now waiting  for the coming spring so I can start to build a 9in version cabinet according to the specification from Falcon Acoustic,.

The sound of this pair of speakers is so lovely and  it is better matching with tube amp as many people suggested.

My next project is to refurbish a pair of KEF Chorale (original) which have a bad cabinet and crossover.

Birch plywood from local wood mill
Steamed beech wood to make batten

Final touch - oak veneer



Comments

Hi. Thank you for inspiring me to build my own ls3/5a starting during the Covid lockdown. I could at the time not get my hands on beech so used white oak for the battens as per your direction. I just finished them, finally obtaining a replica crossover from Taiwan. I’m going to try your fiberglass foam tip for the damping as the current foam I stuffed in the speaker makes them sound dull at times.
Thanks again!

Popular Posts